The following instructions may be helpful when preparing for your upcoming surgery. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any last minute questions. We can be reached at Sugar Land Office Phone Number 281-494-2477 during regular business hours or by email at [email protected] .
Here is pre- operative information for your upcoming Periodontal /Implant surgery.
- Start your antibiotic one day before your surgery date. For sinus lifts start 2 days prior
- Please do not eat 6 hours prior to your appointment if you are a non diabetic
- Diabetic patients please take your medication as normal and eat a regular breakfast just no juice or coffee
- Take all medications as normal with a little water.
- Please take off any nail polish and trim nails prior to surgery. If not we will trim it here for the pulse oximeter.
- Wear something comfortable with short sleeves. Layer a sweater if it’s cold
- Make sure your ride comes in with you on the morning of your procedure.
- Take your premedication 1 hour before surgery if you have an artificial knee joint or hip replacement
- Stop blood thinners if allowed prior to surgery as advised by your physician.
- Please bring your denture/flipper if you have one prior to tooth extraction
You should receive your pre/post-operative prescriptions with this instruction sheet. For your convenience, please have them filled prior to your scheduled surgery, unless they have been previously phoned into the pharmacy of your choice. Please bring your filled prescriptions with you to your appointment.
It may be important to stop taking aspirin and non-steroidals such as Motrin and Advil, 7-10 days prior to your surgery. If you are taking Coumadin or another blood thinner, remember to discontinue them as directed. If you take antibiotic premed, please take it as directed before your surgery. You will feel better if you have eaten prior to surgery. We keep the office cool, so dress warmly. You may bring your iPod or MP3 player with you if you like.
In order to evaluate your progress and healing, we will see you for weekly post-operative checks during the first 1-5 weeks. In most cases, after surgery we will also look forward to seeing you back for a periodontal maintenance cleaning and an examination of tissue maturation about 10-12 weeks following the surgery.
Please alert the office to any allergies or sensitivities that you might have to antibiotics. You will be prescribed an antibiotic if our doctor determines it to be necessary. Take as directed until gone. It is advisable not to take these medications on an empty stomach, as nausea may result. For women taking birth control pills, be advised that antibiotics may interfere with their effectiveness.
If you elect to use one of the following oral sedatives you must have a ride to and from the office. Please bring your remaining tablets with you. Remember, we encourage you to eat prior to your surgery.
We offer the following sedatives:
- Promethazine and Triazolam
When preparing a post-op menu, please consider some of the following choices:
- Ensure/Slim Fast
- Apple Sauce
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
- Milk Shakes
- Cottage Cheese